A home away from home
Guests are treated to a delicious breakfast on the verandah which overlooks the manicured gardens and flowing Byron Creek. The quaint township of Bangalow is right on our doorstep with boutique shops, award winning cafés and the famous Bangalow Hotel only 5 minutes walk away. We hope you visit us for an unforgettable stay.
Bangalow Guesthouse history
Early pioneer Joseph G. Snow moved to Bangalow in 1902 and famously set up a much needed saw mill in the area. Snow purchased the land on the Byron Creek at auction in 1903. Shortly after, work commenced on the front part of the existing house where his wife and growing family of 13 children were to live. They named their home ‘The Rivers’. His efforts and sense of community left a lasting impression
Dr. Andrew Bracken bought the home after arriving from Ireland two years earlier and so began the line of Doctors who would live in ‘The Rivers’ for decades to come. The climate proved too hot for his wife and the property was sold again to Dr. John Stewart in 1912.
A young Dr. John Lentaigne arrived in 1914 and renamed the property ‘Riverview’ after the College he had studied at in Sydney. Trained in obstetrics and paediatrics, Dr. Lentaigne delivered many of the residents of Bangalow and Byron Bay.
The suites and cottages at the Bangalow Guesthouse are named in memory of the early owners who each left their mark on this special property and the town of Bangalow.